Hey guys, so ya looking at the blog a little late, but I am also working on question 9. My email is jjurss@wisc.edu. I'd be willing to have a little discussion maybe this Sunday if people are down.
Also, while I've been researching I came across this website from the University of Chicago. I haven't had a chance to get through it all, but it seems like a good place to look if you need help gather sources. http://mamluk.uchicago.edu/msr.html
I reserved a study room at Memorial Library for whoever would like to come. Its Thursday the 16th, from 8 till closing in room 579. As of right now, i may arrive later than 8 due to an exam, but the room will be open for us.
Hey everyone, I'm working on Mamluke slavery as a means of ethnic control by Islamic rulers; I'll also be taking a look at military slavery's wider implications for the preservation/expansion of Islam. If anyone is looking for help on this I'd recommend Ayalon, Islam and the Abode of War chapters 1-2. In particular, Ayalon has some decent (but short) notes on the rise of Mamluks in the Abbasid Empire. Shoot me an email if you want anything more; there is some good (but also short) stuff in Lapidus as well. My email is sclegg@wisc.edu
Hey all, Just wanted to give the heads up that I will be at the library on Sunday hopefully writing a rough draft if anyone wants to join me. Shoot me an email tonight or tomorrow morning at jjurss@wisc.edu tonight or tomorrow for when you want to go over. I am running a race tomorrow morning so I was thinking sometime in the mid afternoon. Hope to see you there.
I feel like I have a rough idea, but what exactly would be a kind of text book definition of a "classical mamluk system" that is referenced in the prompt.
If anyone is using Lavanoni and is can't read some of the pages a good portion of the book is up on google books. Here is the link http://books.google.com/books?id=YT_pUKZFdt4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=levanoni#PPP1,M1
Anyone want to collaborate with me for Prompt #9. My email is kapinos@wisc.edu.
ReplyDeleteSounds good. pedolan@wisc.edu
ReplyDeletemine is krusi@wisc.edu for anyone else who would like to work together
ReplyDeletelooks like i'm a little late to the party, but mine is kljochman@wisc.edu
ReplyDeleteHey guys, I'm down for some collaboration. efkoch@wisc.edu
ReplyDeletemine's eisfelder@wisc.edu
ReplyDeleteHey guys, so ya looking at the blog a little late, but I am also working on question 9. My email is jjurss@wisc.edu. I'd be willing to have a little discussion maybe this Sunday if people are down.
ReplyDeleteAlso, while I've been researching I came across this website from the University of Chicago. I haven't had a chance to get through it all, but it seems like a good place to look if you need help gather sources. http://mamluk.uchicago.edu/msr.html
ReplyDeleteI found 3 interesting reviews on the Levanoni book from the source list, if anyone is interested.
ReplyDeleteI reserved a study room at Memorial Library for whoever would like to come.
ReplyDeleteIts Thursday the 16th, from 8 till closing in room 579.
As of right now, i may arrive later than 8 due to an exam, but the room will be open for us.
Hey everyone,
ReplyDeleteI'm working on Mamluke slavery as a means of ethnic control by Islamic rulers; I'll also be taking a look at military slavery's wider implications for the preservation/expansion of Islam. If anyone is looking for help on this I'd recommend Ayalon, Islam and the Abode of War chapters 1-2. In particular, Ayalon has some decent (but short) notes on the rise of Mamluks in the Abbasid Empire. Shoot me an email if you want anything more; there is some good (but also short) stuff in Lapidus as well. My email is sclegg@wisc.edu
Sam
Hey all,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to give the heads up that I will be at the library on Sunday hopefully writing a rough draft if anyone wants to join me. Shoot me an email tonight or tomorrow morning at jjurss@wisc.edu tonight or tomorrow for when you want to go over. I am running a race tomorrow morning so I was thinking sometime in the mid afternoon. Hope to see you there.
I reserved room 379 at Memorial for tonight, for who ever is interested.
ReplyDeleteI feel like I have a rough idea, but what exactly would be a kind of text book definition of a "classical mamluk system" that is referenced in the prompt.
ReplyDeleteIf anyone is using Lavanoni and is can't read some of the pages a good portion of the book is up on google books. Here is the link
ReplyDeletehttp://books.google.com/books?id=YT_pUKZFdt4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=levanoni#PPP1,M1