Saturday, April 11, 2009

Collaboration space: The state, administration, politics

7 comments:

  1. My TA recommended that we make each of the paper questions more specific for our own papers. I am curious to know what others have whittled this topic down to. Does anyone within this topic have a more specific question that they are trying to answer? If so would you mind sharing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just getting started outlining my paper. Anyone interested in starting up a group?
    Peter James
    pgjames@wisc.edu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon Fischer
    jlfischer2@iwsc.edu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't whittle down too far: the standard advice is to narrow, but I wrote the topics to be just narrow enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What does everyone think that "military elites" refers to in this topic.

    I have been taking this to refer to mainly the military leaders who ultimately gain political power with the decline of the caliphate.

    Does everyone else think this too? Or am I off in my thinking and being too simplistic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think military elites refers to the people who ran the military patronage states, so sultans, and additionally powerful mamluks and other elite warriors (and eventually the families of some of these people) who gained control over agricultural revenue. Also notable, I think that the term military elites is supposed to help us differentiate between the position of these elites vs. the false "imperial" elites.
    That's just my take though...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also I think it refers to particular land-controlling groups (ex: Buyids, Fatimids, etc.)...

    ReplyDelete